Re: DSM: [SVS Discussion Board] Re: Child Safety

Andrew Smallman (andy@pscs.org)
Tue, 11 Apr 2000 08:39:10 -0700 (PDT)

Greetings,

I'm Andy Smallman of Puget Sound Community School in the Seattle area, a
school based on many of the same beliefs as SVS-model schools but not a
SVS-model school per se.

I certainly agree with Mike that enacting such a policy is not at odds
with the school philosophy, assuming of course that the policy was arrived
at with full student input. I have no doubt that was the case.

Certainly, it is important to understand that schools like SVS exist in a
society that does not share the same level of trust and respect for youth
as those involved in the schools. Certain challenges arise because of
this.

My question has to do with how the age markers were determined. Mike
wrote, "Those between eight and thirteen years old are required to 'sign
out' and be accompanied when they take advantage of the 'open campus'
policy. Those under eight years (who typically lack parental permission to
leave campus), are now constrained as well by a school policy that
restricts them to campus except for organized 'school excursions'."

How was it determined that age 8 is the starting spot for being eligible
to sign out, and those over age 13 are not required to sign out? We have
developed a similar policy at PSCS regarding leaving our main site each
day but apply it evenhandedly to all students -- all students are required
to sign in upon their arrival each day and sign out when they leave. If
they leave our main site to participate in a non-scheduled school activity
they are required to note where they are going.

Thanks, in advance, for the response (And if the response to my question
is in the Journal, I apologize. Apparently my subscription has lapsed as
I don't recall seeing that article. Is it possible for someone at SVS to
see if I need to renew? Thanks!).

        ---Andy

Andrew Smallman, Director
Puget Sound Community School - http://www.pscs.org