Re: DSM: [SVS Discussion Board] Re: Child Safety

Mike Sadofsky (sadofsky@mediaone.net)
Tue, 11 Apr 2000 10:37:06 -0400

The question of posting the article in this forum is one
that I can't address. It is lengthy, written by someone
else, and already published in the Journal.

As to a matter of philosophy, I, for one, fail to see any
consequential conflict. At school, there is no interference
with individual activity. But off campus, where School
Meeting members interact with the public, there is a need to
be circumspect and aware of how the community may react.
The School Meeting that adopted this procedure discussed
this reality and did not find a conflict either. Much as
the school ensures that its facility conforms to fire and
similar safety codes so as to ensure its legal right to
occupy the premises, it is incumbent on the school to
present itself to the external world as an institution that
takes its legal responsibilities extremely seriously. This
is particularly important because the SVS model of learning,
child development, and operation are so different from the
generally accepted image of a school.

The School has always seen itself as part of the larger
community and has found ways to show itself as a proper and
legitimate institutional citizen. To defy conventional
concepts of safety and personal security, and to defy
external bodies on matters of law, are NOT what Sudbury
Valley School is about.

Mike