DSM: Community Fears for Child Safety

GrannyPitt@aol.com
Tue, 11 Apr 2000 10:01:24 EDT

Thanks for the detailed reply explaining why SVS changed its open-campus
policy.

I live in the East Village of New York City and am wondering how children in
Manhattan could have a Sudbury school experience. It seems to me that the
grounds surrounding SVS are crucial for the students. The mature trees, out
buildings, etc., give kids the opportunity to "disappear" while remaining on
the school grounds. But one doesn't find trees for climbing in Manhattan
school yards - or even in the yards of Manhattan mansions. There are no
private places. Some Manhattan private schools take their students to parks,
including Central Park, but those are scheduled exursions under the watchful
eyes of adults. But to allow children to leave school of their own free
will for the privacy and anonymity of Central Park, or any NYC park - I can't
imagine the community - especially the police - would tolerate such activity.
 I imagine it would take many years of re-educating the public.

Any suggestions on how a for-now-hypothetical Manhattan Sudbury school could
help its students get some "space"?

Thanks.

GrannyPitt@aol.com