DSM: mandatory attendance

GrannyPitt@aol.com
Tue, 28 Mar 2000 22:45:06 EST

I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Stephanie, and I'm a radical
unschooling grandmother. I have learned recently about the existence of
Sudbury model schools, and am influenced by the view that unschoolers may be
overly influenced/pressured by well-meaning, supportive parents and so could
benefit by enrollment in a democratic school. I can appreciate that a
democratic school could mean even greater freedom for an unschooler to
blossom. However, I am disturbed by the attendance policy at several of the
existing Sudbury model schools.

In examining web-sites of various Sudbury schools, I see that several have a
mandatory attendance requirement of five hours per day to ensure commitment
to the school and to prevent the school from becoming a social hall for
unschoolers. Does such a requirement exist at the Sudbury Valley School in
Framingham? To me, it indicates a lack of trust - a lack of total commitment
to the Sudbury philosophy. Were such attendance requirements born out of
negative experiences or were they created "proactively"?

I live in Manhattan, and there is no Sudbury model school in the greater New
York City area. Is anyone out there interested in a New York/New Jersey
school?

Stephanie
GrannyPitt@aol.com