DSM: [SVS Discussion Board] Sudbury Valley School in Toronto Canada?

webmaster@sudval.org
Wed, 8 Mar 2000 00:25:40 -0500

   MESSAGE: (#100) Sudbury Valley School in Toronto Canada?
   AUTHOR: Rob Murray <loughlin@mgmt.utoronto.ca>
   DATE: Wednesday, 8 March 2000, at 12:25 a.m.

Hello,

I have followed Sudbury Valley School since 1991 when I first read about it in
Peter Gray's Psychology text book. I ordered several books, articles, and a
t-shirt(as a conversation starter). In addition to this I wrote an honours
thesis at Queen's University to fill the requirements for a Sociology degree.
The thesis focused on the importance of unihibitd communication within
education , and it compared and contrasted what would be consided an average
public schools with that of sudbury valley. The information on public schools
was unfortunately all too easy to recount, in contrast gaining insight into
Sudbury Valley School was heavily dependent on what I could read about Sudbury
Valley school (1995). I have always had I desire to visit the school but
either time restrictions or financial restraints or both have prevented me
from doing so.

You may be asking yourself....so....., Well I am now a father of a two year
old, and am living in Toronto, Ontario, Canada along with my wife. The idea
that my daughter will have to attend public or private schools of the same
type that I attended due to the fact that no school of this philosophy
existsin Toronto exists, utterly frightens me.

I have concidered home schooling; John Taylor Gatto's writing are very
incouraging in this regard. However, my wife and I both work.

IF ANYONE KNOWS OF SOMEONE ATTEMPTING TO (THINKING ABOUT, ORDERED MATERIAL
PERTAINING TO, WISHING TO) START A SUDBURY VALLEY SCHOOL TYPE OF SCHOOL IN
TORONTO, ONTARIO, CANADA, PLEASE REFER THEM TO THE ABOVE EMAIL ADDRESS.

I would like to thank all those people who created and who continue to
maintain Sudbury Valley School as a model of a true alternative to
'traditional' educational practices. My experience within the public school
system from Victoria, Vancouver, Calgary, was crushing, it took me years to
rediscover that I actually had an natural desire to learn an that desire had
been forcibly crushed. Reading about your school gave me hope that my future
(now present daughter) would not have to face what I had to.

Thank you in advance, Robert Murray BA Economics

BA Hons Sociology