DSM: RE: [SVS Discussion Board] Re: Child Safety

Joseph Moore (joseph@ivorycc.com)
Mon, 6 Mar 2000 08:10:13 -0800

Lauren - first of all, NEVER apologize for questioning anybody's educational
methods. Just don't stop with questioning ours - question everybody else's,
too! ;)

I'm a dad with a 6-year old girl and an 8-year old boy at Diablo Valley
School in the San Francisco Bay area. Sadly, there's no woods anywhere near
our school for my kids to get lost in - instead, my worry is that they don't
get run over in the busy streets nearby.

People need to learn that, ultimately, they are responsible for their own
safety. Given a chance, people can learn this at 18 months old. Some kids,
used to older people controlling their every move, may take a little time to
learn this. But I think the universal experience of Sudbury schools is that
the vast majority of kids already have or quickly learn a sense of safety -
what they, themselves, are comfortable with.

Like many parents, we have 'side agreements' with our kids - they agreed not
to leave campus unless they go with one of the older kids. If they decided
to ignore our agreement, there's nothing the school is going to do about it.

Welcome to the real world!

As far as math, etc., we don't teach it AT ALL! NO HOMEWORK! NO TIME TABLES!
NO ALGEBRA! We don't stop kids from learning it, and will even help them if
they ask, but we're not going to make them.

I'll let you in on a dirty little secret - the vast majority of adults
couldn't factor an equation to save their lives, even the ones who got an A
or B in high school Algebra. If you can balance your checkbook, you're way
ahead of the game. You can learn all the math required for balancing your
check book in a few weeks.

While your questioning educational methods, how about these questions: Why
does a school need to be accredited? Washington, Lincoln, Edison and a host
of 'normal' people did and do get by just fine with accredited schooling.
Why do people take SAT tests? You can get into college without one, you
know. None of the interesting and happy people I know got that way by
collecting degrees and certificates. Why not look at what the happy and
interesting people you know do? That would be educational.

Good luck with you questioning. Be fearless.

Joseph Moore