DSM: Forwarded message:

Scott Gray (sdg@sudval.org)
Thu, 2 Mar 2000 14:27:30 -0500 (EST)

Scott Griffiths <gs5625@northland.edu> sent this to the list. It was
bounced because, sometimes, our anti-spamming efforts prevent legitimate
users from posting. He's been added to the list. Here's what he wrote:

A quick note for Scott. This question has been asked in the past. See
the archives at http://www.sudval.org/~sdg/archives/

--Scott David Gray
reply to: sdg@sudval.org
http://www.sudval.org/~sdg

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2000 13:14:39 -0500
From: gs5625@northland.edu
To: discuss-sudbury-model@sudval.org
Subject: drawbacks?

I have only recently learned of the Sudbury model but have been thinking
of/developing my own model of an ideal school for quite some time. To my
surprise, it already exists at Sudbury Valley. I'm in the process of trying
to convinvce my peers and professors(I decided to go back to school for a
semester to get an Alternative Ed. teaching certificate. Hmmmmm)that this
model would in fact work. Now that I found the SVS I have a lot of
supporting evidence to back up my model, but I was wondering if those of you
who have been involved with the SVS have seen any drawbacks? I feel that in
order to present a solid argument I need to hear both sides. There are all
sorts of theoretical problems that can be posed by traditional educator
types, but I don't buy them. In practice, what are the downsides. I am an
enormous supporter of SVS ideals, so I'm not looking for ammo, just a well
rounded argument. I'm sure this has been discussed at length in the past so
if replies directly to me are more appropriate than filling up the list with
redundant information, please email me at: gs5625@northland.edu

If you could direct me to archives that would address these issues that
would be great. Thank you all. I'm so relieved and excited to known that
there are Sudbury model schools out there. I hope to get to know some of
you an a more personal and professional level in the future. Keep it up!
Scott Griffiths