DSM: [SVS Discussion Board] Re: Child Safety

webmaster@sudval.org
Sat, 26 Feb 2000 20:48:12 -0500

   MESSAGE: (#94) Re: Child Safety
   AUTHOR: liz ottoson <eottoson@hotmail.com>
   DATE: Saturday, 26 February 2000, at 8:48 p.m.

   Reply To: (#84) Child Safety
   Author: Patrice
   Date: Friday, 11 February 2000, at 11:29 a.m.

Hi Patrice- My name is Liz Ottoson, I went to SVS from 1994-1997 and am now
attending Lesley College in Cambridge, Ma. I just made Dean's List for for the
second time (out of three semesters) and am currently doing an internship at a
local Early Intervention program (which is working with children ages birth to
three at risk for developmental delays.) When I started at SVS, my parents
were very concerned about what kind of college I could get into with no grades
or GPA. After going through the transition of graduating SVS and starting
college, I actually think going to SVS was ten times more of an advantage than
any disadvange you could possibly think of. First off, I knew what I wanted
from a college (although I did originally go to Hampshire College for a year).
As many of the other young people at college were adjusting to this new found
"freedom" they had over their lives, I already knew I had that. I realized
very quickly that college could be anything I wanted to make out of it. I
choose to concentrate on child development, though technically my major is
Early Childhood Education. I never want to teach in a public school system
(and I never want to labeled "a teacher", because I think everyone teaches) I
do want to incorporate much of the SVS philosophy into infant, toddler, and
preschool settings. Which brings me to your first question about your eight
year old daughter's safety. Do you let your daughter go for a walk around the
block without you? Does she have a tendency to walk into the middle of busy
streets? I'm not trying to be sarcastic, I'm just trying to make the point
that children have a lot more common sense than we sometimes give them credit
for. I highly doubt your daughter would be in anymore danger at SVS than she
would be anywhere else in America. If she did something that could be
potentially harmful to herself or anyone else (like run into the street or
play in the pond) the odds are someone would see her (the campus is big, but
not that big, children are everywhere) and every person that is on that campus
is responsible for everyone's safety. That's why we have the Judicial
Committee. I'm not sure if you know about this aspect of the school, and if
you aren't, then I completely see why you are so concerned. The Judicial
Committee (JC) is run by both staff and students and is responsible for
upholding the lawbook. Personal Safety is probably one of the, if not the,
most important rules at SVS. I know that as a parent you may feel very
aprehensive about the open campus policy because your natural instict is to
protect your children, but if you spend any time at Sudbury Valley, you will
see a completely safe and loving community where all children are safe (and
responsible!) I hope I've helped answer your questions a bit and I'm sorry if
I rambled on. Good Luck to you and your family.

Liz Ottoson