DSM: High School Harm

mvtyson@hotmail.com
Wed, 2 Feb 2000 13:48:27 -0500

This message is from Brainpower on Delphi Forums was forwarded to you by
BRAINPOWER42.

You can view it in the context of the entire discussion by going to:
http://forums.delphi.com/brainpower/messages/?msg=5.1

To view BRAINPOWER42's Profile, visit
http://www.delphi.com/dir-app/showprofile.asp?uname=BRAINPOWER42

=======================Forwarded Message=======================

Forum: the Brainpower Forum
Subject: High School Harm
From: (BRAINPOWER42)
To: (ALL)
DateTime: 2/2/00 1:09:02 PM

Racism, violence, sexual harassment, drugs everything you encounter in
the outside world is in high school. Despite changes in our society and
our children, high school has existed for more than 400 years with
relatively few changes.

Dr. Leon Botstein, President of Bard College and author of Jefferson's
Children: Education and the Promise of American Culture, says we should
just get rid of high school after the 10th grade and start a new system
that graduates students when they are 16 years old.

Comments of his:
--High school is just an artificial world that's sports-dominated,
clique-driven and nothing more than wasted time for our children.

--Since high school is segregated by age we are creating a world in which
status is the most important thing.

--Mediocre people write tests. Tests don't have anything to do with the
education of a child so there's no connection with learning. Since
modern technology exists, Dr. Botstein suggests we could have tests that
emphasize learning, not correctness: a young person gets an answer wrong
and understands why, and if they guessed it right, they'd also understand
why.

Delphi Forums: Where individuals, groups, and leading Web
sites create vibrant online communities. Explore more than
100,000 Forums or create your own at http://www.delphi.com