RE: DSM: Majority Rule vs. Consensus

Kenneth Winchenbach Walden (Ken@Walden.net)
Sun, 23 Jan 2000 13:11:23 -0500

>> ... Stepping Aside is the individual's
>>ability to voice their disapproval of the decision. When a person steps
>>aside, they not only are showing that they do not approve, but
>they are not
>>to take part in the implementation of the decision. It is a sign of the
>>respect for an individual's values, that they have the option in
>the end of
>>not taking part in a decision they do not agree with. ...
>
>What does "not to take part in the implementation of the decision" mean in
>the context of a Sudbury model school? If the decision concerned a school
>rule, how can individuals not take part in its implementation?
>
>Kristin

Hi Kristin -

My interpretation would be that if someone chose to step aside, and the rest
of the group decided to go ahead with the decision, then the person who had
objected would not be held accountable by that rule, or required to enforce
it. This is my first thought, but that is a good question, and there may be
a better way to handle that issue.

Ken
http://ken.walden.net

"In short, I am convinced, both by faith and experience, that to maintain
one's self on this earth is not a hardship but a pastime, if we will live
simply and wisely."
-Henry David Thoreau-