RE: DSM: Majority Rule vs. Consensus

Joe Jackson (shoeless@erols.com)
Sun, 23 Jan 2000 13:04:56 -0500

Joe - Fairhaven

On Conflict and Consensus
a handbook on Formal Consensus decisionmaking
by C.T. Butler and Amy Rothstein

I read this whole website. I think there's great value in the techniques
outlined. I found the #6 section on techniques to be an excellent resource.

I think consensus is a potentially useful and attractive mode in certain
situations. I could see it working in committee meetings. I could see it
being used in my workplace at certain times. I don't see it being useful in
larger groups, groups that have many day-to-day decisions to make, or in
really super-crucial decisions. I'll try to explain why:

I think the entire idea completely negates two truths about people and the
world:

1 - That two people can have ideas that are completely mutually exclusive,
that
they both think their idea is the correct course, and that it is damaging to
the group for there to be unspoken pressure for one of them to step aside.

2 - That it is damaging and potentially fatal for a group not to be able to
make a series of vital, complex decisions very quickly. I feel that a large
consensus group filled with leaders is invariably going to end up blocked if
they try to make five _really_ hard decisions in a day. I've been in many
_small_ consensus groups who followed a procedure close to the formal
procedure listed on the website. It's common in those groups to finish a
three-hour meeting with half of the agenda items undecided. I simply see it
working less in the larger groups I'
ve been involved with.

I could see it working in a larger group, but I think it takes different
types of people than we have.

There are also some statements in the consensus handbook that puzzle me:

"Generally speaking, when a group votes using majority rule or Parliamentary
Procedure, a competitive dynamic is created within the group because it is
being asked to choose between two (or more) possibilities. It is just as
acceptable to attack and diminish another's point of view as it is to
promote and endorse your own ideas."

This confuses me, because the site states that Formal Consensus works best
in an atmosphere in which conflict is encouraged and supported. If someone
disagrees with an idea I have, they SHOULD seek to diminish my idea.
Otherwise, how can the group be convinced as to the weaknesses behind my
argument.

Maybe the site's trying to differentiate between "attacking and diminishing"
and "pointing out the concerns". I personally think they mean the same
thing, but if this is the case, the whole issue is just a cultural
difference that could be exemplified by East Coast/West Coast personality or
coming from a "loud" family versus coming from a "quiet" family. To some of
my friends from "quiet" families, my saying "I could not disagree with you
more" sounds like I grew horns, lept on top of the table, and screamed at
them like a banshee.

"Often, voting occurs before one side reveals anything about itself, but
spends time solely attacking the opponent! In this adversarial environment,
one's ideas are owned and often defended in the face of improvements."

This has never happened in any School Meeting or Assembly Meeting I have
been in.

"The will of the majority supersedes the concerns and desires of the
minority. This is inherently violent."

I repulse when I read this, but I won't debate the use of the work
"violence" here, since it has become so broadly applied today that it really
doesn't mean anything. I will say this:

I think this is a digital question - that either the will of the majority
prevails, or the will of the minority prevails, and that there are no other
possibilities. The application of consensus in critical situations is just
the will of the majority prevailing, but throw some coercion at the minority
for good measure.

I still think consensus is a good technique, I just don't think it's the
right one for a Sudbury Model School Meeting or Assembly Meeting.

-Joe