Re: DSM: Majority Rule vs. Consensus

Joseph Roach (josroach@yahoo.com)
Sun, 23 Jan 2000 04:57:56 -0800 (PST)

Greetings Martin,

Joe Roach from The New School in Delaware here.

Consensus always sound benign, doesn't it?
Personally, I find consensus to be a very subtle,
insidious form of coersion. Children often disagree
with each other -- sometimes for personal reasons,
sometimes for reasons of principle... I want a child
to be free to disagree.

In any democratic organization, a great weakness can
the unfettered rule of the majority. Good
organization building means ensuring the rights of
people who may find themselves in a minority. Such
rights can be guarded through the charter or by-laws
of the school. Consensus-building can be every bit as
unfair as majority rule.

Good luck and best regards,

Joe Roach
The New School