DSM: Majority Rule vs. Consensus

Martin Wilke (martin.wilke@gmx.net)
Sun, 23 Jan 2000 12:44:08 +0100

Hi all,

I and three parents are going to (try to) start a non-coercive school in
Berlin. On our first informal meeting we found that we have quite
different ideas of how decisions should be made in a non-coercive
school.
While I think majority should decide they insist on consensus. Their
main argument is that the majority would oppress the minority. That
discussions would be ended as soon as it is clear that a motion will get
a majority, and thus the minority would simply be ignored. What
experience do you have in School Meetings or Assemblies with this point?

Martin Wilke