Re: DSM: Sudbury Educational Resource Network

Debbie Athos (naturally@mindspring.com)
Mon, 3 Jan 2000 18:56:50 -0500

I agree with Brad,
It's sad that children are not free and respected to choose the educational journey that they want. This is what attracted me to the Sudbury model. Even as a homeschool family - we have educational guidelines and standardized tests that have been set by the state. For now, Sudbury and other democratic private schools are the only legal "self-education" setting that I know of.
----Original Message-----
From: Brad Withers <spungulas@odyssey.net>
To: discuss-sudbury-model@sudval.org <discuss-sudbury-model@sudval.org>
Date: Sunday, January 02, 2000 6:58 AM
Subject: Re: DSM: Sudbury Educational Resource Network

clip...
    << For instance, Kentucky Department of Education private school laws demand that schools teach reading, writing, spellilng, grammar, history,
    mathematics, and civics. They also have minimum attendance standards that
    match those of public schools.>>

         Forgive me for getting off the beaten path, but whenever I see mention of state or federal laws concerning our childrens education, it makes me wonder why it is even any of their business to begin with. Why is it? Quite frankly, it irritates me because they do not feed or clothe my kids, nor do they pay my bills. It gives me the impression that they seem to think they know better than I what is best for my kids. It also gives me the impression that they seem to think that my kids are going to be idiots if left to discover for themselves (self-education). Actually, I think if society were allowed the freedom we might be in a better position now than we are.
    Brad