DSM: Sudbury Model Foundation

Dennis Shaughnessy (dshau@scn.org)
Thu, 30 Dec 1999 19:00:37 -0800 (PST)

Good idea and I have an idea of a Foundation activity - fight state
mandatory private school staff and curriculum requirements. These
requirements damage free and democratic schools including those of the
Sudbury model.
  I agree with the New Mexico Supreme Court in 1974 that stated
The New Mexico Board of Education overstepped its authority
with these issues with the Santa Fe Community School. The book
CHEEZ! Uncle Sam by Ed Nagel quotes the court in its decision
for the private school stating the actions of the New Mexico Board of
Education "...amount to unwarranted and unreasonable infringements upon
their freedom of speech, assembly and religion as guaranteed to them by
the First and Fourteenth Amendments of the United States Constitution
and the New Mexico Constitution. These actions deprive or have the
tendency to deprive the Plaintiffs of their fundamental rights to
raise their children as they see fit, to live the kind of lives they
wish to lead, to associate with whom they want, and to practice their
religion or hold such philosphical or religious beliefs as they want."
...p.209.
"The struggle for personal freedom is a long and drawn-out war,
composed of innumerable battles." -James Kilpatrick in Dayton Daily
News
Dennis