DSM: Re: Staff requirements

The Booroobin School (booroobin@squirrel.com.au)
Tue, 28 Dec 1999 09:40:10 +1000

Hi,
I believe that some clarification is required to what Dennis said. It would
be a completely idealistic (and a little unreal) situation in which a school
could be established, and call itself a "School" without some basic
requirements being set by the government of the country in which the people
wishing to establish the School live. We are not anarchists. We are a
registered non-State School, that in Australia, must abide by the laws and
regulations of 3 levels of elected governments, local, State and Federal.
We might not like all those laws and regulations, but in a democratic
country we have the right to dispute and challenge them. In addition, for
our Students to prepare themselves for life in the larger community as
responsible effective adults they also need to become accustomed to those
laws and regulations, but even more importantly by being self regulating
with the assistance and support of the School. We have implemented, the
Sudbury Valley model completely, doing what we need to on a day to day basis
though to manage our own affairs in our own way. That Sudbury Valley does
not and has never sought to impose its requirements on a School which seeks
to follow their quite exceptional model developed for over 30 years meeting
and dealing with its own trials and tribulations, is something that ought to
be respected.
Our Staff have to meet certain requirements to become employed by the
School. Amongst, and in fact in addition to, those requirements one Staff
member must be a registered teacher. They are subject to precisely the same
processes of the School and Rules and election and a probationary year by
secret ballot as every other Staff member. The registered teacher must also
keep their registration active. There are registered teachers who disagree
with the practices of mainstream education and centrally imposed curricula.
The School Meeting decided to employ another registered teacher from Term 1
in 2000. We intend to ensure that the Universities that offer degrees in
education include our School amongst those that their Students have the
opportunity to undertake practical work, so that there is broader
understanding of the diversity of Schools that families may choose from.
By the way, there is also now The Blue Mountain School, a Sudbury Valley
model School in Cottage Grove, Oregon which is fully funded by government.
Regards, Derek Sheppard