Re: DSM: A question about The Booroobin School

The Booroobin School (booroobin@squirrel.com.au)
Thu, 23 Dec 1999 08:32:53 +1000

Hi Ben,
I see what you are saying. However, the expectation of what you are doing
is to vote. What you are alluding to is a manipulation of the process, in
order not to vote. it would seem far more logical, in my opinion to follow
through on the act of voting, than to undertake a charade of only presenting
yourself to have you name crossed or ticked off the list of enrolled voters.
I have witnessed the awful outcome of elections where people simply either
do not vote, or are not enrolled to vote or decide to only have the name
crossed off the list of voters, and not cast a vote. We have ended up in
this local government area for instance, particularly as a result of the
direct consequences of people taking the first 2 actions listed above, with
an elected representative for the last 4 years who is conservative, knows
nothing about sustainability in all its forms, who acts against the
environment generally, supports subdivisions, is partial in his
representation, does not act to keep the people and sectors communicating
and seeks to block or seep under the carpet submissions he does not
personally support in the future planning of this area. I have a right to
complain about this though, I always take advantage of my democratic right
to vote, and treat it seriously.
If you don't vote or do as you indicated and have your name noted as having
turned up, then you can be prosecuted and fined and even jailed. What a
waste of limited resources.
Regards, Derek