Re: DSM: Sudbury boarding schools?

WarOnTies@aol.com
Mon, 20 Dec 1999 13:22:25 EST

<< Summerhill will generally not take a new student over 13, unless they have
already been in a democratic school >>

I've heard that this is because they don't generally keep students after the
age of 16, and because students who have been in overt coercive schools tend
to not go to classes. I've also heard that the staff decides which building
the kids live in, and it is bby age, not prefered sleeping patterns or
noisyness or any other prefrence. That's why I'd say that they are not really
a democratic school, but a subtly coercive one. I'm not sure though...

~woty chaos