DSM: sudbury questions

Liz Palmer (liz@brat.org)
Fri, 19 Nov 1999 14:47:06 -0500

Yay! There's some discussion on here. Maybe this email will generate a
little more...?

I was wondering if you Sudbury folks could answer a couple of questions.
I'm an education student in Kentucky, and for the last few years I've been
interested in Sudbury schools and perhaps even beginning one in Louisville
in a few years (if I manage to round up some interested colleagues). I'm
just wondering, since Web pages have such a limited amount of information
about them, about individuals who may have had negative experiences at
Sudbury schools. Did you ever notice students that just didn't respond well
to the atmosphere, or whose parents couldn't handle giving them the freedom
they need to find themselves? What about staff members that were too
authoritarian? How much are the staff expected to help students, or are
they simply expected to help students ask the right questions and then
allow students seek out their own answers? How does Sudbury's school
meetings/assembly respond to these problems, if they exist at all?

I hope you all don't mind me asking these questions, but I just want to be
prepared for the practical reality of starting a free school. I read about
the downfall of a free school in Durham recently, and it makes me reluctant
to go into this without anticipating certain common problems.

Thanks,
Liz
Brat
http://www.brat.org

The Four Rules of Activism:
If you can't do something, don't say that you can;
If you commit to something, don't back out of the plan;
If you will do something, don't say that you won't;
If you believe in something, don't act like you don't.