Re: DSM: Sudbury Schools - Summerhill

Jerome Mintz (jmintz@iris.nyit.edu)
Tue, 2 Nov 1999 00:53:33 -0500 (EST)

Hi, Dan!
Maybe you weren't monitoring the beginning of this conversation, but some
people implied that one of the philsophical differences between Sudbury
Valley School and Summerhill was that Summerhill has boarding students and
SVS doesn't. For example, Scott said:

"At least within the context of Sudbury Valley, I think a big part of the
"experience" is being part of communities outside of the school, and the
interplay between life at school and life outside of the school. This
touches on one of the differences between Summerhill and Sudbury Valley."

This surprised me. So that is why I asked the question, could a Sudbury
School have a boarding component?

I think that the answer is that it could.

Jerry