Re: RE: DSM: Sudbury Schools - Summerhill

Alan Klein (Alan@klein.net)
Mon, 1 Nov 1999 00:10:12 -0500

Joe,

>From some people's viewpoint, not much. From others', I suppose, everything.
Shaker Mountain in the 70's and The Highland School (1981-present) are two
examples of schools which started with no knowledge of SVS (and, perhaps
even before it), but which share most important elements of philosophy and
practice. To call, for example, The Highland School a "Sudbury Model School"
is inaccurate, since it started before we had heard of SVS. Three or four
years into our work, however, we discovered SVS and felt like we had found a
long lost sibling!

I remember a conversation with Scott David Gray's dad, Peter, who had
co-written an article about the school. We talked about a lot of things, but
when I asked how they handled cleaning up the school he laughed and said,
"It sure is nice to talk to someone who knows what the important things
are!" His experience had been that most people, of course, get hung up on
the philosophy and, especially, the lack of requiring courses. I took such
things for granted and was more interested in how they handled the "little
things".

So, I would say that all Sudbury model schools are "democratic and
non-coercive", but not all "democratic and non-coercive" schools are Sudbury
model schools.

~Alan