RE: RE: DSM: Sudbury Schools - Summerhill

Jerome Mintz (jmintz@iris.nyit.edu)
Sun, 31 Oct 1999 01:31:48 -0500 (EST)

Wow! I only check this server about once a week and was shocked at the
volume of responses my question brought out. But it seems some of you went
quite far afield and didn't answer the original question: Could a Sudbury
School be boarding?

We had a boarding component to our democratic, non-coersive school. About
a third of the kids were boarding. Some came from out of state because
there was no similar school near them. Some boarded because of family
situations, sometimes temporarily, and sometimes because they were placed
by state social services. Some were day students whose parents wented them
to have the boarding experience. All of the day kids could sign up to stay
over at the boarding location once or twice a week. TSometimes the
boarding kids stayed over at the dayschool kids's houses. Of course, the
boarding kids went home for vacations.

The boarding staff and students had their own seperate democratic meeting,
but decisions could be appealed to the general meeting. Meals were
discussed and decided upon by the boarding community's meeting, and
everyone shared in the cooking and cleaning.

A have always thought that this added a crucial dimension to the school,
and it always seemed that the boarding kids got much more out of the
school, and often became its leadership, no matter what their original
backgrounds.

So, to repeat, could boarding be part of a sudbury school?

Jerry Mintz
AERO
www.edrev.org (The decision making process we evolved is on this site)