Re: DSM: Sudbury Schools - Summerhill

Debbie Athos (naturally@mindspring.com)
Tue, 26 Oct 1999 22:27:26 -0400

Yes Alan, you're right! Everyone should be free to eat whatever they want. I
guess the better idea would be to share with those interested that the
potato chips that they're eating may be made from genetically altered
potatoes...And that there are potatoes that are grown organically and made
into chips that are fried in dare I say - high quality vegetable oil.
("high quality" meaning less refined, no chemicals...) And let them choose
which chip they want to eat.

However, at a school that I would open - I would still offer the organic
chips (I've never seen a kid turn down an organic potato chip yet!) My
intentions would not be to create a controlled "limited choice" cafeteria.
There would be plenty of choices - what I'm saying is money would be spent
on foods that are healthier for people to eat. The same foods that we all
enjoy would be there - the "quality" would be defined and decided to the
best of our knowledge on the subject.

Basically the difference would be that the apples would be real, organic
apples verses chemically grown, possible genetically engineered apples. We
would have cake and gum and soda and all the junk that kids (and adults)
like. We will choose products that have the least sugar, chemicals,
colorings, preservatives, which is when I use the word "quality". I would
advertise that our school would serve what we feel are healthy foods/meals.
It won't be like I'm going to surprise everyone so that I can fool people
into eating what I think is better for them.

Good day to you,
deb:)