RE: DSM: Sudbury Schools - Summerhill

Joseph Moore (joseph@ivorycc.com)
Tue, 26 Oct 1999 11:43:19 -0700

I like being with my kids and feel a strong responsibility for raising them,
so boarding schools in general have no appeal to me. Summerhill or not, the
English tradition of boarding school strikes me as fundamentally sick,
designed to produce class stratified, emotionally detached people. This is,
after all, a culture where, traditionally, people are more kind to their
pets than to their children.

What is the point of boarding schools, anyway? Always seemed to me to be an
attempt to assuage the guilt of wealthier parents who couldn't 'control' or
didn't want to be bothered by their own children.