Re: DSM: Sudbury Schools - Summerhill

Freekids@aol.com
Tue, 26 Oct 1999 00:01:25 EDT

Hi,

This is Stuart Williams-Ley at Cedarwood Sudbury School, responding to
Jerry's question about having boarding at a Sudbury school. My main objection
to offering boarding is that it would add some major complexities to starting
and running a school. Being a staff member at a day school is quite enough of
a challenge for me. For those of you whose schools offer boarding, I respect
you for doing something amazing.

I do think that children would usually be better off living with their
parents until the age of 18 or so. Parents at our school usually provide
critical support for their children, and I think it would be a great loss to
almost all of these children not to live with their parents. Of course there
are family and personal situations that make boarding preferable in a
minority of cases.

Stuart