Re: RE: RE: DSM: Dismal according to their own measure...

Sharon Stanfill (sharons@juliet.ll.mit.edu)
Mon, 4 Oct 1999 09:07:17 -0400 (EDT)

I am not in the least asserting that all children should be
held to the lowest level in order to include everyone. I am
asserting that when looking at public school test scores, one
must remember that the population tested includes a considerable
percentage of children who have much to overcome. The urban poor
are often so shell shocked , for example, that they have little
will to do anything, let alone attempt to learn skills that they
cannot imagine having any use. I could go on at length, but
will not - presuming that listreaders here can come up with their
own examples.

Sharon