RE: RE: DSM: Dismal according to their own measure...

Joseph Moore (joseph@ivorycc.com)
Fri, 1 Oct 1999 08:25:36 -0700

WarOnTies wrote:

> I think people do learn in school. It's just that what they could learn,
> left
> to make their own choices, is better and will be more useful to them, and
> will be what they want to know...

And I reply...

Sure. Humans are learning machines - we'll learn whatever we can, wherever
we find ourselves.

So, we do learn in school. The question I ask is: do we learn in school what
is purportedly being taught? That's the issue behind this thread on the
schools being failures even by their own measures - the 'writing' part of
reading, writing and arithmetic seems, even as measured by the latest test
results from within the educational bureaucracy, to be sorely lacking.

If the people who care about you read, learning to read is almost as
automatic as learning to speak. Basic math is a little tougher, but can be
mastered in an hour or so a day spread over a few months. Writing, as Mimsy
pointed out, requires thinking - hard to see how that figures into the
classroom model.

I could see, maybe, sending a kid to school for 6 months, max, to learn
these things, if the teaching were demonstrated to work. So, what's with the
other 11.5 years?