Re: DSM: QUESTIONS

Helena Singer (hsinger@sas.upenn.edu)
Wed, 25 Aug 1999 13:52:44 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Paolo,

I am a Brazilian sociologist currently working to open a democratic
school in Brazil. Seven years ago, I raised the very same questions you
are asking now. These questions were the guideline of my master thesis.
It was published, but unfortunatelly I cannot recommend it for you
because it is in Portuguese.
In summary, my research was about the democratic schools in general,
among which Sudbury was one of the most important models. The others were
Summerhill, Tolstoy's school in the last century (Iasnaia Poliana) and
Korczak orphanage in Poland (exterminated during the Second World War).
Based in these four different models of democratic schools, I found about
one hundred schools all over the world.
I made some contacts in Italy too
and I was informed that there isn't any democratic school there but there
were some important anarchist experiences in the past. Nowadays there is
a group in the University of Palermo that studies the subject of
democratic schools. If you are
interested, I can try to find the name of the professor in charge of this
group.

Good luck,

Helena Singer