DSM: Re: San Tunstall <tunstall@MIT.EDU> sent this to the list

Joe Jackson (shoeless@erols.com)
Wed, 25 Aug 1999 00:00:31 -0400

>Paul Peterson,
>Director of Harvard's Program on Education Policy and Governance. He called
>schools such as AVS "alarming" and said "No anthropologist anywhere has
>found a society which would say 'The children shall decide what they want
>to do.' Everybody has expectations for their children that are rooted in
>the cultural traditions of that society." He also claimed that children,
>like everyone else, will take the path of least resistance if not forced to
>do things (such as take difficult classes).
>
>Comments?

Sure - that's really funny. Four statements that don't relate to each
other:

1: "alarming" - I find Peterson's job title alarming, but probably not as
alarming as his assistant's.

2: "No anthropologist anywhere has found a society which would say 'The
children shall decide what they want to do.'" - So in addition to knowing
about all of the educational policy and governance, he has personally talked
to all the anthropologists in the world, which is interesting, because I
happen to have talked to all of the ornithologists in the world, and none of
them have found any birds who think that Peterson is not a total idiot.

3: "Everybody has expectations for their children that are rooted in the
cultural traditions of that society." - and we all know that expectations
always help people, and that a parent's expectations of their children
should be the prime determinate of their life path.

4: "children, like everyone else, will take the path of least resistance if
not forced to do things" - Did he really say, in effect, that everybody
always takes the path of least resistance? That's beautiful. Why is it
that everyone knows that humans almost never take the path of least
resistance, and yet some guy who got a phd out of a gumball machine can
spout it like it's fact, like his personal views of humankind are somehow
science?

But you know what's even funnier is that every single kid in our school
knows more about learning than all of the blowhard experts in every ivory
league school on the east coast.

Yep.

-Joe shoeless@erols.com
*****