Re: DSM: rules for young children

Scott David Gray (sdavid@tiac.net)
Sat, 21 Aug 1999 19:20:53 -0400

Martin Wilke wrote:

> When I read this, one question came to my mind:
> In SVS there are 30 pages of rules written down in a book. But how does
> a young child, who still can't read, know all these rules?

     Most of the SVS lawbook covers administrative details. Only a
relatively small first section of the lawbook lists the limits on behavior.

     Many of the rules are intuitively obvious to new members of the
school. For example, no person can reasonbly expect that s/he would be
allowed to verbally abuse other people in a school.
     New members of the community are advised and warned by people around
them if they are in danger of violating a less-than-obvious rule.
     In those instances in which the Judicial Committee does choose to
charge a new person with breaking a rule which s/he could have been
reasonably unaware of, the Judicial Committee usually sentences with a
formal warning.

     John Selden, 17th Century English Parliamentarian, wrote: "Ignorance
of the law excuses no man; not that all men know the law, but because 't is
an excuse every man will plead, and no man can tell how to refute him."

> curious
>
> Martin Wilke

-- Scott David Gray
reply-to: sdavid@tiac.net