DSM: Anecdotal evidence....

Joseph Moore (joseph@ivorycc.com)
Tue, 17 Aug 1999 10:27:09 -0700

Little family update: my 2nd child, Teresa, age 5, was helping me measure
some carpets for a project we're working on. Right after we were done, she
says: Daddy - 4 times 5 is 20, right? I say yes. Then she starts in on a
bunch of other combinations, pausing occasionally to count some of them out
on her fingers (and, for 5 times 20, her toes!), but invariably coming up
with the right answer. Nobody has told her math is hard, so she thinks it's
fun.

My two oldest kids (we have 4 - the other 2 are a little young to tell) are
startlingly precocious - at least, in the eyes of some of the people I talk
to about SVS model. They think their kids couldn't handle it, and need some
sort of external discipline to learn anything. I'm big on modelling - treat
kids well, honor learning, provide a rich environment - and internal
discipline - the only discipline that matters - will more than make up for
not having someone looking over their shoulders all day.

Hey, it's worth a shot.