DSM: Re: Re: Re: homogeneous/home schooling

Joe Jackson (shoeless@erols.com)
Mon, 9 Aug 1999 20:33:51 -0400

>I think it is dangerous or
>silly to make generalizations about home-schooled kids based on personal
>experiences.

Stephanie, by what criteria should we form our views about what we like and
dislike about Sudbury schooling, home-schooling, theme parks, dark
chocolate, and the rest of the subjective world other than opinions fueled
by personal experience? My other question is, other than the speaker's
intent, what is the difference between a world view and a set of
generalizations?

Besides, I don't recall anyone making generalizations about homeschooled
kids in this thread in the first place -- can we review exactly what has
taken place here?:

Someone sent me an email through the listserve saying that I should consider
homeschooling instead of SM schooling, and I sent a reply. My reply noted a
common trait about homeschooled kids that I have noticed over the years that
was a criterium for me choosing not to homeschool my kids. I didn't make a
sweeping statement about all homeschoolers, I didn't even say that I thought
home schooling was good or bad.

Someone else posted "The experience I have had with kids that are home
schooled, is that they are very shy, and they tend not to interact well with
others." That is also a personal observation and not a generalization. I
don't share the same experience, and neither do you, apparently, but that
difference of experience that you and I have doesn't make this person's
observations invalid, or dangerous, or silly.

If the purpose of this group were to discuss jazz improvisation instead of
the Sudbury Model, I would think a normal response to someone posting "in my
experience, running the half-whole diminished scale up and down over an
altered dominant chord sounds a bit rote" would be more on the order of, "I
usually try to break up the scale with patterns", not "such sweeping
generalizations about the half-whole diminished scale are silly and
dangerous".

I say that if forming a world view based on personal experiences is
dangerous or silly, then we are ALL, as a race, an incredibly dangerous and
silly group of people.

>>>homeschooled kids have always struck me as a little automaton-like.
>>Others have thrown in their 2 cents' worth already, but I have to admit to
>>being a little surprised at some of the sweeping generalizations on both
>>sides, whether agreeing or disagreeing.

You'll have to work pretty hard to convince me that the phrases,
"homeschooled kids have always struck me as a little automaton-like" or "The
experience I have had with kids that are home schooled, is that they are
very shy, and they tend not to interact well with others." are
generalizations, Larry. A generalization would be: "all homeschoolers or
most homeschoolers are automaton-like" or "all or most homeschoolers are
shy." I sense that you are a fan of using and understanding words
precisely; I hope you see the difference! :)

- Big Joe