Re: DSM: religious school = more military like?

Sam Senteney (sambo@calweb.com)
Sun, 8 Aug 1999 23:05:36 -0700

It is too bad that your experiences with homeschooled kids has been so limited. What you describe sounds like public schooled kids, not homeschooled kids. Granted that maybe somewhere such homeschooled kids as you describe exist, but on this side of the land mass, that isn't the case. Maybe it's because the 95% you've seen have been homeschooled in a style that mimics the worst part of public instruction and replicates it in the home. That I could see producing the results you describe, but those homeschoolers who defy the conventional paradigm and follow their own agenda at their own pace on their own time are the opposite of what you describe.

Your observation rings with the same truth that one homeschooling mom here stated after seeing our students on their campus. She said that those SVS students are so lifeless and have no spark in their eyes. ...and we know that isn't so. Open mindedness is hard when we feel the need to defend choices we make.

Maybe it's time we gave our prejudices a little spring cleaning. Get out more often Joe, and meet more homeschooled kids.

Sam from SacVal

        Could you expand on this?

>Besides, homeschooled kids have always struck me as a little
    automaton-like.

        Brad
    In 95% of the homeschooled kids I've ever seen, I've consistently noticed an
    distinct pleasantness, a conspicuous need to please others, a lack of
    independence and, for lack of a better term, a lack of spark.

    Maybe it's me, but I am more comfortable seeing kids with at least a little
    bad attitude and rebelliousness.