DSM: Let's be more specific about "special needs"

Joe Jackson (shoeless@erols.com)
Sun, 8 Aug 1999 10:42:14 -0400

Hi, Rhonda - Joe from Fairhaven School in Maryland.

I believe the fundamental flaw with your inquiry is that you seem to believe
that Sudbury schools don't allow "special needs" students. They do. The
"special needs" people you seem to be referring to are accomodated to a much
higher degree in Sudbury Schools than in many segments of our democratic
society, and to a lesser extent than others.

Some of your posts imply that our society either does, can, should or will
accomodate ALL disabilities. It does not, cannot, and will probably not
ever fully accomodate ALL disabilities (whether it should is a more
philosophical question) .

Based on that fallacy, you seem to think a Sudbury School should accomodate
ALL disabilities. It should not, and it cannot fully accomodate ALL
disabilities. No school can, including public schools.

I think it would be useful if we stop hiding behind the term "special needs"
and be specific about the needs we're talking about. The term "special
needs" is kind of a copout, because it implies that "special needs" people
are a group or class, which of course they are not. It might help if you
describe the person you are thinking about when you say "special needs".

If we're both saying "special needs" and you're thinking about a spinal
injury quadriplegic, and I'm thinking about Jeffrey Dahmer, then we're
wasting a lot of time.

>Our country seems to be working on making places accessible to all
>people so that one day these limitations may not serve as obstacles for
>opportunity.

That is an incredibly idealistic and beautiful thought, but is certainly not
true. Our country has worked and will continue to work to mandate
accessability for _the most broad and objectively-defined disabilities_. It
will not and cannot provide for ALL people. The federal government does not
prohibit, for example, an employer firing a learning-disabled person on the
basis of their disability. It does not, for example, prohibit a federal
contractor from denying employment to a person with CP. It doesn't prohibit
the military from refusing to hire someone because they have diabetes. It
doesn't prevent a private school from expelling a sociopathic student.

"Our country" is not willing or able to prevent all personal "limitations"
from serving as "obstacles for opportunity".

That is why discussing "special needs" without doing the work we need to do
to talk about specific disabilities is so useless. It's easy (and fun!) to
make grand, compassionate philosophical statments about undefined classes of
people, but we need to do better than that.

>Can you image this school on a larger scale, when a
>person is unable to vote, they get kicked out of the country?

You misunderstood Scott here - he was using federal voting rights versus
disablilities legislation to make a point.

Sudbury schools don't kick out students just because they don't vote, they
kick them out because they can't follow the rules. Sudbury schools don't
have jails and psychiatric institutions; the only way they can remove
rulebreakers from their community is by excluding them.

>My
>perception is that SVS is analogous to a community or a country with
>democracy in action, not a specific space like a theatre.

A Sudbury school is, in fact, a democratic _school_ and not a community or
sovereign country. This is a critical difference, of course, in terms of
purpose as well as resources.

As a philosophical sidebar to what I hope is a more specific discussion of
disablities,I admire your idealism; however, if you were a "Societal Planner
:) ", could you devise a society that can fully accomodate the needs and
wants (remember that "special needs" is a greyscale!) of all of its members
without becoming a crater?

(As a "societal planner" or legislator, you must use the most extreme
scenario in your imagination as you test your creation.)

- Joe Jackson, shoeless@erols.com
*****
Visit Fairhaven School's website at
www.fairhavenschool.com

Let's say there was a society of skydivers, and they made all of their
decisions democratically. Now, if someone comes along who wants to skydive
but they are afraid of heights and the society decides not to build a
simulator for $80,000, that doesn't mean they are not democratic, it just
means that there is no society on earth that can or will completely
accomodate every single person's special needs or wants.