Re: DSM: Is democracy for everyone?

Jennie Ladew (jennie@ziplink.net)
Wed, 04 Aug 1999 08:34:56 -0400

At 06:51 AM 8/4/99 +0000, rhonda goebel wrote:
>Many aspects of the Sudbury model appeal to me, especially compared to
>the school establishment model. One thing that bothers me though is how
>some people who have special needs (physical, emotional, mental, etc.)
>seem to be excluded. If Sudbury serves as a model of democracy in
>action, does that mean that there is no place for some people with
>special needs in a democratic state? Is Sudbury about people adapting
>to a rigid framework, or a responsive framework adapting to people? My
>point is not about forced compassion, rather the concept of equal
>opportunity for all, a democratic ideal that includes everyone
>regardless of need. Sudbury has significantly demonstrated that young
>people naturally develop competency and compassion within a
>self-directed context. My best guess is that young people would
>naturally and actively include all people, if given the opportunity (as
>is now being demonstrated in the school establishment). I believe that
>true democracy is democracy for all.

When I asked I was told that they did not take ANY special needs. You had
to self reliant, independent, whatever the word was. True of too many so
called schools that work with nice sounding concepts that draw you in and
promise creativity and respect for the individual and learning style until
you get to REALLY different learning styles.

Jennie with a sigh. Sorry for such a negative addition...but....