Re: DSM: diplomas

Joe Jackson (shoeless@erols.com)
Tue, 20 Jul 1999 09:55:13 -0400

><stuff snipped>
>>
>> There are two ways in which a person can be disciplined. A person
can be
>>disciplined BY somebody else, or s/he can discipline her/him self.
>> If you have been accustomed to following the dictates of an external
>>authority, you will have no preparation for making your own schedules and
>keeping
>>yourself on track. It takes no special gift to follow orders.
>
>While I definitely agree with the first instance (following dictates of
>others), I strongly disagree with the second. Following orders is a very
>difficult thing to do. Particularly in an extreme case such as the
>military, where you must do it, often without explanation as to why, and
>sometimes in a life threatening situation. It is no easy task to put such
>faith and trust in another person, often when you don't even really know
who
>that other person is. It requires a great deal of personal discipline and
>faith.
>
>T.

I don't think what Scott is trying to say is that following orders is easy;
I think he's saying that following them is simple in the extreme. It
doesn't take a very sophisticated person to follow them; I don't, however,
think that a sophisticated person is _incapable_ of following them. At
least I hope! ;)

-Joe, shoeless@erols.com
*****
Visit Fairhaven School's website at