Re: DSM: religious school = more military like?

tina (tls@ziplink.net)
Mon, 19 Jul 1999 17:40:59 -0400

At 05:17 PM 7/15/99 -0400, you wrote:

>Can anyone speak to the question of how much control various states
>have over private schools? Doubtless it varies greatly. Here in
>Massachussetts, I believe there is relatively little control, if any.
>(With the exception of schools for 'special needs' children which must
>meet some standards in regards to funding concerns.)
>

>Sharon

In Connecticut, back when I was in Catholic school (this is a disclaimer
meaning I have no idea what the current situation is), we had to meet the
same basic criteria for a diploma as the public schools - i.e. 4 years of
English, 4 years of phys. ed., and whatever else was on the list, but I
don't remember anyone ever checking or questioning the content of the
courses, and the state did not require us to submit to any standardized
testing (although the school sure did!).

I think part of it was, at least at that time, that private schools,
particularly Catholic schools, were viewed as being much more stringent
academically than the public schools - probably a fair assessment - and so
did not require the oversight that the public schools did. Also, the
private schools did not suffer as much from lack of financial resources or
parental involvement - both seen as critical to successful schooling.

T.