Re: DSM: diplomas

tina (tls@ziplink.net)
Mon, 19 Jul 1999 16:24:55 -0400

Actually, I just remembered something else that may illustrate my point
about following orders.

In a study done a few years ago about pilots and fatal crashes, it was found
that, when broken down by career, the group with the highest fatality rate
was doctors. When the reasons were analyzed, two majors factors were
discovered. One was that doctors could afford more high-performance
aircraft. But the other was that doctors are a group that, by and large,
are used to calling their own shots. They have to have inplicit trust in
their own judgement. As a result, they found it difficult to follow orders
and were often second-guessing air traffic controllers.

T.