Re: DSM: diplomas

tina (tls@ziplink.net)
Mon, 19 Jul 1999 16:12:08 -0400

<stuff snipped>

> There are two ways in which a person can be disciplined. A person can be
>disciplined BY somebody else, or s/he can discipline her/him self.
> If you have been accustomed to following the dictates of an external
>authority, you will have no preparation for making your own schedules and
keeping
>yourself on track. It takes no special gift to follow orders.

While I definitely agree with the first instance (following dictates of
others), I strongly disagree with the second. Following orders is a very
difficult thing to do. Particularly in an extreme case such as the
military, where you must do it, often without explanation as to why, and
sometimes in a life threatening situation. It is no easy task to put such
faith and trust in another person, often when you don't even really know who
that other person is. It requires a great deal of personal discipline and
faith.

T.