Re: DSM: Disenstablishmentarianism, my #$&@

Joe Jackson (shoeless@erols.com)
Sun, 18 Jul 1999 08:28:52 -0400

>Is it really normal to sell out our convictions just to rise to power in a
>hope for some greater good? If it is, then that may be why such notions
>as "ethnic clensing" seem so popular.

When the non-combatant Serbs kept their mouths shut (as in 1930's Germany)
they achieved survive and perhaps even thrive, but they probably were not
doing it to live and fight another day - they were just saving their skin.
It's hard for me to pass judgement on that however, not being there.

Certainly the butchers performing ethnic cleansing, even if they deluded
themselves into thinking they were working for the greater good, were
motivated by hatred and personal gain. Big time shadiness factor. Passing
judgement. :(

My point was that not volunteering your true intentions in a situation that
would result in a negative outcome is instinctive, and instincts are not
good or bad. What makes it right or wrong is the motivation. The example I
used was this:

Say you live in a country where you must profess allegiance to a hideous
government or be subject to persecution/torture/execution. By doing so, you
are effectively "deceived a person or organization in order to get
something". Having achieved survival, you now work hard underground to
overthrow the government. That would be the "making use of those fruits in
order to satisfy one's real agenda".

That's a flight or fight pack animal response. Motivation is another topic.
If someone is motivated by purely personal gain I agree with the shade
factor, but, as in the startup and/or running of a nonprofit Sudbury Model
school where the motivation is obviously altruistic to a large extent, I
think the invocation of the phrase "by any means necessary" is appropriate
as long as nobody is hurt.

In a perfect world everyone could be completely forthcoming about
everything, but in our world it's important to be audacious and sly when it
is called for (at least that's the lesson I remember from the 1770's).

Having said that I reiterate that I would want our school to be completely
honest on the Mid-Atlantic Association accreditation application when we
fill one out in the next few years.

Out of time - bye- see some of you at SVConf next week.

(excitement)

-Big Joe, shoeless@erols.com
*****
Visit Fairhaven School's website at