DSM: Re: RE: RE: RE: religious school = more military like?

Joe Jackson (shoeless@erols.com)
Fri, 16 Jul 1999 23:11:09 -0400

You can't escape the fact that schools are fundamentally businesses, and if
you don't make good business decisions, the school will probably fail.

Running a school painted as a hippy dippy renegade, highly alternative,
experimental program is mighty sexy, but you can't make much of a difference
in this world when you're on your back with your feet in the air. I think
some people's commitment to this whole disenstablishmentarianism vibe is why
so few Sudbury schools are making it.

Accreditation doesn't come only from the government - the regional
accrediting agencies accredit a wide variety of institutions (granted none
of them probably resemble a Sudbury school). A religious school often
states it is "accredited" by its sponsoring church.

I think many schools might see accreditation as a good business move, and if
it doesn't affect how the school operates, than it's silly not to do it just
'cause schools you hate do it.

That's like saying you won't play golf because you hate the golfer image.

- Joe Jackson, shoeless@erols.com
*****
Visit Fairhaven School's website at
www.fairhavenschool.com