DSM: a curious thought about diplomas....

Sharon Stanfill (sharons@juliet.ll.mit.edu)
Thu, 15 Jul 1999 10:01:16 -0400

It occurs to me that it is almost certainly the case that the
big Ivies (I am particularly thinking of Harvard here given it's
age) did , early on, accept many, many applicants without
state sanctioned high school diplomas, simply because
1) there really wasn't any such thing
2) many candidates would have been mostly tutored anyway

It would be interesting to delve into the evolution of the
high school degree - and perhaps provide material usefull for
opening up discussions with parents.

Sharon