DSM: Military Careers/Diplomas

Sharon Stanfill (sharons@juliet.ll.mit.edu)
Wed, 14 Jul 1999 09:43:32 -0400

Let's just note that people may well choose a military career because it
is the only path to certain goals. If you want to fly high performance
jets, or be involved in submarines, you don't really have many options.
For quite some time, if you wanted to be an astronaut, you had to be
in the military.

>From my very, very limited knowledge of it, being in the military is not
as Scott Gray seems to assert, limited to following orders and being
disciplined by others. I'd also dispute the assertion that anyone who
is used to being responsible for his/her own life, will be abvle to
take the initiative and do what needs doing. For all human beings, there
can come times and circumstances when one CANNOT deal adaquately with
what life presents you with.

On diplomas - the requirements of all branches of the US military have
changes over time according to supply and demand, and need. I would imagine
that, for example, during WWWI, a high school diploma was not required, at
least in part because it was a much less common achievement than now. I
only know that now, when my officemate was joining the Army Reserves, she
had to find her actual physical high school diploma.

Sharon