Re: DSM: diplomas

tina (tls@ziplink.net)
Tue, 13 Jul 1999 19:10:19 -0400

>What seems surprising to ME is that traditional school -- a place in which
>each student is expected to follow the same path -- manages to turn out
>all sorts of people; from doctors to contractors to policemen to painters.

C'mon, Scott - you can't really be that surprised by that! Traditional
schools are *supposed* to turn out people that take differing paths.

The kids at traditional schools may all follow "the same path" - although I
find that highly debatable - but the path covers an awful lot of territory.
The whole theory behind the traditional school curriculum is to expose kids
to a wide range of things - and then they're supposed to pick one path.

I am *not* saying that this method is the best, but it's hardly surprising
that it turns graduates with a wide range of interests.

The book I referred to I read back before my son enrolled eight years ago
and since then I've seen the process in action and am now somewhat less
surprised at the statistics. However, to my mind, it is much more difficult
to convince oneself to follow a very structured way of life after a life of
freedom than it would be to do it the other way around.

I work with teens in a military sponsored program. We've had very few from
an SVS background, but without exception they've dropped out due to
difficulty in dealing with a structured, chain-of-command organization.

For that reason, I see the choice of a military-type career for an SVS
alumni to be more unusual than for the graduate of a traditional school.

T.