Re: DSM: diplomas

Scott Gray (sdg@sudval.org)
Tue, 13 Jul 1999 17:16:21 -0400 (EDT)

Why do you find this surprising that SVS alumni are found following a
career in the military or in law enforcement?

It doesn't surprise me at all, that SVS alumni are capable of realizing
what it takes to have a free society, and are willing to do the dirty work
it takes to keep it that way -- especially because they are used (through
the JC, School Meeting, and other forums) to doing it well and with due
respect for individual rights.

What seems surprising to ME is that traditional school -- a place in which
each student is expected to follow the same path -- manages to turn out
all sorts of people; from doctors to contractors to policemen to painters.
It's testimony to the strength of the human will, and to the strength of
the free market of ideas, that even people who are schooled in a prison
somehow manage to find different niches in the economy when finally
released.

On Tue, 13 Jul 1999, tina wrote:

> >I supposed that SVS students are against the military, as it is
> >everything, but democratic and peaceful.
> >
> >Martin Wilke
> >

> Actually, one of the books from the SVS Press (can't remember which
> off-hand) lists what alumni did after they left. Although there may be
> fewer students that ended up in the military, law enforcement, and the like
> from SVS than a "regular" school, I was surprised that there actually were a
> reasonable number.
>
> I think most people realize that democratic principles are simply not the
> most effective for every organization - the army being the prime example -
> and SVS students, like the population at large, know that there are going to
> be times when you must choose between conflicting beliefs/goals. I've often
> thought this was one of the very best features at SVS; maybe *the* best.
> Without someone telling you what to do every step of the way, you have to
> learn to make these choices early on.
>
> All that being said, I've often found it interesting that most branches of
> the military require a high school diploma; no substitutions allowed, even
> the GED. (As Mimsy said, they do accept the SVS diploma.) I find it to be
> an interesting statement of the practical value of holding a diploma. You
> can't qualify for many, many jobs without one. Apparently, you can't even
> be sent to foreign countries to shoot people.
>
> T.

--Scott David Gray
reply to: sdg@sudval.org
http://www.sudval.org/~sdg