Re: DSM: diplomas

tina (tls@ziplink.net)
Tue, 13 Jul 1999 16:09:34 -0400

>I supposed that SVS students are against the military, as it is
>everything, but democratic and peaceful.
>
>Martin Wilke

Actually, one of the books from the SVS Press (can't remember which
off-hand) lists what alumni did after they left. Although there may be
fewer students that ended up in the military, law enforcement, and the like
from SVS than a "regular" school, I was surprised that there actually were a
reasonable number.

I think most people realize that democratic principles are simply not the
most effective for every organization - the army being the prime example -
and SVS students, like the population at large, know that there are going to
be times when you must choose between conflicting beliefs/goals. I've often
thought this was one of the very best features at SVS; maybe *the* best.
Without someone telling you what to do every step of the way, you have to
learn to make these choices early on.

All that being said, I've often found it interesting that most branches of
the military require a high school diploma; no substitutions allowed, even
the GED. (As Mimsy said, they do accept the SVS diploma.) I find it to be
an interesting statement of the practical value of holding a diploma. You
can't qualify for many, many jobs without one. Apparently, you can't even
be sent to foreign countries to shoot people.

T.