Re: DSM: Parents

dodon@erols.com
Thu, 01 Jul 1999 14:26:17 -0400

Hi Everyone

Joe asked me to fill in the details on this parent-encouraged class
request story. Basically what happened was that three kids told me they
wanted a Latin class. I said, "Great!" (I think they were testing to
see what we would do with a request for a class we weren't able to
teach, but I happened to be able to tach it, and I think that caught
them off guard.) I told them I would need a day or two to get some
materials together and that I would let them know when I was ready. Two
days later I mentioned to one of them that I was ready to go, that they
should consult with the others and let me know when we should start. I
admit I did that on purpose to see just how interested they really
were. Not surprisingly, they did nothing. Another day went by and I
told another kid, thinking that in all fairness the first might have
dropped the ball and the other kids might be quite interested. Still no
bite. About two weeks later, I told all three together that the things
I had brought in/copied were cluttering up my cubby and that if they
were not interested after all I'd like to take them home. They said,
quite pleasantly that they had changed their minds, and I was happy to
chalk it up to one of the many false starts and experiments in
negotiation being done during our first year adjustment.
        A few days later one of the kid's parent came in to pick her up. He
rarely came to school and I made a point of engaging with him, just to
check in and see how he was feeling about the school and the recent 1st
assembly meeting. He immediately expressed frustration that his
daughter had requested a latin class and that a staff member had dropped
the ball and never followed up on her request. When I made it clear
that I was that staff member and gave the above accounting of what had
happened he got really angry and lectured me about nurturing kids
interests and not setting up road blocks and how his daughter might
really have been interested in Latin if only I had set up the class and
encouraged her to come try it. His daughter looked like she would die,
as it became clear that the idea of the Latin class had really been an
attempt to get her Dad off her back, and that she had let me take the
heat for it not happening.
        Of course we (Dad and I) had a long discussion about interest and
motivation and empowerment and such things you all already know, but he
stood his angry ground and announced that he was telling everyone he
knew what a horrible school this was and that he was only letting his
daughter come because she insisted on it and that it was the first tme
she had been happy in years...Oh well. (BTW she's reenrolled for next
year and growing more wonderfully confident and happy by the day.)

Romey Pittman, Fairhaven School