Re: DSM: Parents

Msadofsky@aol.com
Mon, 28 Jun 1999 21:36:31 EDT

At Sudbury Valley School we stand pretty firmly on the principal that it is
what the student wants to pursue, not what the parents wants the student to
pursue, that counts.

On the other hand, sometimes it is not that clear, and sometimes the parent
can actually convince the student that s/he wants what the parent wants
him/her to want. We do not give motivation lie detector tests; things
usually fall apart all on their own if the kid is not interested; the staff
at school doesn't have to help things fall apart.

The end is rarely pretty, but it is often blurry. And this sort of parent
(who has an agenda for his/her child) often removes the kid from SVS. Maybe
that is better for everyone, but to us, at school, it never feels like it
will be better for the child -- or the school.

I wish everyone could trust their children's judgment. And I also know how
hard it is.
Mimsy