DSM: RE:being a generalist.

Sharon Stanfill (sharons@juliet.ll.mit.edu)
Thu, 22 Oct 98 10:11:07 EDT

Actually, Joe, not all the schools are chopping up
subjects into bits and teaching them in isolation.
Take a gander at Shady Hill (www.shs.org) which
does alot with tying things together and using
general overarching themes. Many other schools, both
public and private do this as a matter of course
now, although for many it is a realatively new
idea.

I agree that it's hard to do much with test scores and/or
literacy rates - the equation is too complex, and it's not
really usefull, for example, to compare the general public
with the advantaged few in private schools of any sort, or
the complex group of homeschoolers. I certainly don't think
that everyone who sends a child to a non Sudbury school is
paying for it in vain however. (I assume that $10 large is
$10,000 - am I right?)

Sharon