Re: DSM:teachers

Martha E. Fay (ocean.lilacs@banet.net)
Thu, 22 Oct 1998 08:45:15 -0400

Many kids who take math classes in traditional high schools learn no math.
As my husband (who learned no math in a prestigious prep school) says, our
kids can not learn algebra just as easily by not taking a class as by
sitting still for an hour every day bored out of their minds while somebody
writes incomprehensible stuff on the blackboard.

To make this point even more poignantly, my husband learned no math in a
prestigious prep school. He returned to college in his 30's where he
majored in math and graduated summa cum laude at the age of 37.

Martha